Come and see behind the famous pargeted façade of 25-27 Church Street. You’ll find extensive surviving medieval fabric and an unmodernised interior featuring, among much else, a painted Tudor overmantel, early Victorian wallpaper and chalk-floored cellars. The current renovation work provides added interest – not too unlike visiting a patient undressed on an operating table!
Tours are available by prior appointment on the days below. They include an introductory talk on the building, its history and the current work by owner Douglas Kent, the Technical and Research Director at the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. Each tour lasts approximately one-and-a-half hours and includes tea, coffee, homemade cakes and biscuits. Additionally, private or group tours can be arranged by contacting email@example.com .
The tours attract a wide range of people but appeal particularly to those with an interest in the informed and sensitive renovation of old buildings. Whether you are a local resident, tourist who plans to visit Saffron Walden or someone simply enthusiastic about our heritage, I hope very much that you will come and explore 25-27 Church Street.
Invitation to View Tours:
- Monday 18th May 2020 at 11.00am CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Friday 12th June 2020 at 2.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Friday 3rd July 2020 at 2.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Monday 27th July 2020 at 2.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Please book Invitation to View Tours via:
Historic House Tours:
- Saturday 2nd May 2020 at 11.00am, 2.30pm and 4.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Saturday 27th June 2020 at 11.00am, 2.30pm and 4.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Saturday 26th September 2020 at 11.00am, 2.30pm and 4.30pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Please book Historic House Tours via Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre (01799 524002)
Hallowtide Talk and Tea:
With a focus on ‘Protecting Buildings from Evil: Past Beliefs, Customs and Symbolism’:
- Thursday 29th October 2020 at 4.00pm CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Please book this talk via: